Monday, September 20, 2010

Belated First Post!

I meant to post on here much sooner, but sometimes life just gets in the way.  Right now I am starting my sixth week of running, and I think I'm about to hit a wall.  I've been getting up at 5:40am on MWF and semi-early on one weekend day.  We've been doing various interval training scanarios and then a longer run on the weekend.

The run this morning was good until about the last eight minutes.  We (DF, AB, and MS) turned down a street and just all of a sudden got hit with humidity.  Even though it was about 68 degrees and still completely dark, it made the last few minutes tough.  We covered 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, and this included a 5 minute walk to start.  I am definitely the weak link (although it is probably as much in my head as it is physical) but I am super proud of myself.  Now, if only I could stop eating McDonald's so I would loose some weight, life would be grand!

On Saturday we did a warm-up walk, then ran 2.5 miles straight, without stopping.  This is only about the second time in my life I've done this, so I was VERY proud of myself!

Below are some pictures from other weekend activities over the past few weeks.  KJ and I hiked Pinnacle Mountain one Saturday when our husbands were busy, and we had a blast. We climbed up the "hard" side (it is pretty steep, as signaled by the sign.........it was really intense), descended the "easy" side, and then hiked back around the base to our car.  All told, it was about 3.5 miles, and I got some incredible pictures!



Also included are pictures of my most recent jump into sewing.  I've been able to do the basics since I was about 8, and we had an epic weekend of pillow making (thanks Granny!).  I tried making a skirt because my little sister (a link to her blog is on the left) has become fantastic at clothing, and I can't let her one up me.  After this weekend, and a failed attempt at a dress about a year ago, I have decided that clothes are not my thing.  The purple skirt turned out ok, but not great.  If you know me, you know that I'm a very ordered, rule following type of person, and quilts just fit that personality so much better!  And I loved sewing these four blocks!  It is a simplified Log Cabin block, and I just got inexpensive red, black, and white for my first attempt.  I'll keep putting up pictures as I get more done!  And for those who have used a rotary cutter, I managed to refrain from cutting myself with it!!






The 5k is three weeks from last Saturday!  Gulp.  I'm so excited!


3 comments:

  1. run, sister, run!
    hike, sister, hike!
    quilt, sister, quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kelsey, i'm so excited to see your sewing creations! (i really like the color blocking)

    good luck on training too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. I commented while ago and thought I was on the very first day but I wasn't. I messed up. Surprise, surprise. Those are beautiful pictures you posted. And, I don't care what you think of your skirt -- it's cute!

    ReplyDelete