Monday, October 11, 2010

The Hills are Alive.........With the Sounds of Me Wheezing!

Saturday was a BLAST for many reasons:

1)  I beat my previous 5k time!  The official time for me in my one and only previous 5k was 36:22.  My official time for this one was 34:08!  http://www.arkansasrunner.com/misc/results2010/wrw5k10.htm

2)  I feel very good about this because I ran/jogged the whole time and did not walk.  And the entire 3 miles went over hills!!!  Argh.  It was horrible.  The first mile was decently flat, but after that they just kept getting bigger.

3)  It was super fun hanging out with Dianna, Mike, and Kyle before the race.  Those boys are seriously funny (and super fast......Kyle ran in 20:21 and Mike ran in 25:25).

So we left Conway at 6:30 and drove to the start of the race.  It ended up being a smaller race pool, and a lot of the people seemed to be pretty hardcore, running warm-up laps and stuff.  Dianna and I just stretched a lot.  We were saving our energy.  I got sucked into the run really fast with the pack at the beginning, but after a couple of minutes I slowed down to the pace I needed.  Sure there were 60 year old men and people pushing strollers literally sprinting past me, but I just kept my own pace (while feeling a bit ashamed.....I mean seriously, little old men were running right past me like it was no big deal.....).  The first mile went by before I knew it.  But then the hills started getting bigger.  And I started getting inside my own head.  And then I started getting tired, and started feeling sick.  This was around the 2.5 miles completed mark.  I really almost stopped.  I felt horrible.  And then what happened?  I am dead serious about this, I didn't rig anything.  The song on my iPod ends.  I'm stumbling up a big hill.  And the new song starts.  It was Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."  Seriously.  So with my last breath, I start laughing because it is just ridiculous, and then I pick up the pace.  Once I crest the hill it is downhill all the way to the finish line.  And just like magic, I feel better, and finish out the race without walking.  This is so cheesy that I am rolling my eyes as I'm typing, but it sure makes for a good TRUE story about the race!!


5k Finishers!---Kyle, Mike, Dianna, and Kelsey





This is how hardcore I am.  My running shoe now has a hole at the pinkie toe!



On Sunday I decided to do some sewing (after sleeping until 11am, which was great).  After a lot of sewing things, and ripping out seams, and sewing again, I actually finished the quilt top!  Here it is!!!!!




We start training for our November 10k tomorrow morning!  Let the second leg of making me into a half-marathoner begin!!  Gulp.........

3 comments:

  1. OMG--I have tears in my eyes reading about your race. I am so proud of you--partly because I'm just proud of you, and partly because you are proud of yourself! And then I see your quilt top, which is beautiful. Great job--on the race AND on the quilt top! Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, your quilt is awesome.

    second, you are awesome.

    third, i laughed really hard about the old men and strollers passing you, because when i ran my half, there were people who had ran the MARATHON passing me in the mile before the finish line, and that's just not nice. they literally ran twice the distance i did in less time. not so much of an ego boost.

    but, way to power through! and i love your mark of hardcoreness on your shoe. you really are so hardcore.

    also, mom said "OMG," which is cute.

    ReplyDelete